Prince Harry found out his grandfather Prince Philip had died just 60 minutes before the news was broken to the British public.
The Duke of Edinburgh died, aged 99, at Windsor Castle on the morning of April 9 while Harry and Meghan Markle were asleep in California.
Officials at the US Embassy made several attempts to contact Harry when he was asleep at around 3am, after the Duke of Edinburgh passed away.
Buckingham Palace released an official statement at midday in the UK – 4am in Los Angeles.
When there was no answer from the Duke of Sussex, police from the Santa Barbara Sheriff’s Department were dispatched to the gates of his mansion in Montecito, TMZ reports.
They told him to contact the embassy immediately.
Harry paid tribute to his grandfather shortly after his death, describing him as “a man of service, honour and great humour”.
In a statement issued through his foundation Archewell, he added: “He was authentically himself, with a seriously sharp wit, and could hold the attention of any room due to his charm – and also because you never knew what he might say next.
“He will be remembered as the longest reigning consort to the Monarch, a decorated serviceman, a Prince and a Duke.
“But to me, like many of you who have lost a loved one or grandparent over the pain of this past year, he was my grandpa: master of the barbecue, legend of banter, and cheeky right ‘til the end.
“He has been a rock for Her Majesty The Queen with unparalleled devotion, by her side for 73 years of marriage, and while I could go on, I know that right now he would say to all of us, beer in hand, ‘Oh do get on with it!’”
A Palace source said: “Regardless of truth or otherwise, we would not comment on this as it is a personal and private matter which I don’t believe is any way in the public interest to print.
“How someone is told of the passing of a loved one is not really a suitable matter for conjecture or speculation. It is private.”
Harry, 36, flew back to the UK to attend Philip’s funeral in Windsor, but his heavily pregnant wife Meghan Markle, 39, did not travel on the advice of her doctors and stayed home with their son Archie.
Meghan claimed the family had several conversations about how dark he unborn child’s skin would be and she was refused help when she was struggling with mental health issues.
Earlier this week, Harry and Oprah revealed they have been working on their new docuseries ‘The Me You Can’t See’ for two years.
The show explores mental health and emotional well-being and includes featured interviews from Lady Gaga, Glenn Close, NBA star DeMar DeRozan and others about their experiences.
In the bonus episode, that was set up as a town hall discussion and released on Friday, the Royal and Oprah revealed that they had been planning the project since when they first met years earlier.
At the time, Harry and Meghan had not announce they would be leaving their Royal duties or their move to California, United States.