Full-Time: The Seattle Sounders defeated the Portland Timbers by a score of 2-1. There was a second half full of craziness with Diego Valeri missing a penalty, Raul Ruidiaz scoring a penalty, and Bill Tuiloma scoring an incredible free kick in stoppage time. Ruidiaz scored again at a stage that would’ve made the game 3-0 but he was fractionally offside.
The Sounders take on the San Jose Earthquakes on Wednesday night.
The last few years it has sometimes seemed as if every time the Seattle Sounders played at the Portland Timbers that they were doing it on short rest. This time, however, the shoe is on the other foot.
While the Sounders come into the Cascadia showdown leading the Supporters’ Shield race and on full rest, the Timbers are coming off a midweek game against Club America in Concacaf Champions League and sitting on just three points through three league games.
The Sounders should also be a bit closer to full strength as Nicolás Lodeiro and Montero should both be fully available. The Timbers will likely need to use a somewhat rotated lineup.
- This game will not count toward the Cascadia Cup standings, just like the earlier meeting between the Whitecaps and Timbers. The three supporters’ groups who manage the trophy have not yet committed to awarding it this year, but will likely only use the final six games contested among the three teams this year.
- Montero comes into this game having scored 6 goals against the Timbers in his 11 games played against them as a member of the Sounders and Whitecaps.
- Raúl Ruidíaz has been even better against the Timbers, scoring seven goals in eight career appearances against them, including the playoffs. The only player to score more goals against a single MLS opponent is Carlos Vela with 8 against the LA Galaxy.
- This will be the first time the Sounders have played in front of fans at Providence Park since Aug. 23, 2019. That was also the day of the Iron Front flag protest in which supporters of both teams didn’t do their normal singing throughout the first 33 minutes.
- The Sounders have won 3 of their last 4 games at Providence Park.
- The Timbers have already used an MLS-high 21 different starters, including all three of their goalkeepers.
- OUT: Jordan Morris (ACL injury), Josh Atencio (R quad strain)
- QUESTIONABLE: Nicolas Lodeiro (knee pain)
- OUT: Cristhian Paredes (left thigh strain), Aljaz Ivacic (athletic pubalgia surgery), Jaroslaw Niezgoda (left ACL surgery), Steve Clark (left thigh strain), Ismaila Jome (left Achilles tendon surgery)
- QUESTIONABLE: Jeremy Ebobisse (left thigh strain), Sebastian Blanco (right ACL surgery)
Referee: Chris Penso, Lineman 1: Ian Anderson, Lineman 2: Eric Weisbrod, Fourth official: Elijio Arreguin, VAR: Edvin Jurisevic, Ast. VAR: Joshua Patlak
Match date/kickoff time: May 9, 12:13 PM
Venue: Providence Park, Portland, Ore.
National English TV: ABC (Champion, Twellman)
Local Radio: 950 KJR-AM Seattle (Costigan, Keller)
Local Spanish Radio: El Rey 1360 AM (Rodriguez, Maqueda, Tapia)
National Spanish TV: ESPN-Deportes
Czech Republic & Slovakia: Nova Sport (Czech Republic)
Georgia: Silk Sport
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy & Spain: DAZN (Europe)
Latin America (excl. Brazil): ESPN Latin America
Netherlands: ESPN Netherlands
Sub-Saharah Africa: ESPN Africa
United Kingdom & Ireland: Premier Sports / Free Sports
Highlights will be posted as the match progresses.
This is Seattle Sounders at Timbers; watch with us
Sounder at Heart has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Sounder at Heart may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.